Friday, August 1, 2008

Good Stuff: The King Cage waterbottle cage





The King Cage. Appropriately named, it is probably the best waterbottle cage I have ever owned. The Specialized (plastic/composite) mountain cages were pretty good and I still have 4 that have been in service since the early 1990's, but the King Cage will likely be around after I'm dead. It's classy looking and classic. It's the kind of component that you move from bike to bike.

It's tubular steel so it's very light. It's recyclable. If it gets bent-- bend it back. It grips bottles like a crazed gorilla. Oh, and it's hand-made. Big points on my list. (I'm a snob, sure.)

My only complaint is that I didn't have the cash to pick up a couple when I had the opportunity to buy at the North American Handmade Bicycle Show. The King Cage folks were there selling their stuff. The steel cages were a fiddling $8. Yeah! Want to buy them anywhere else and you're paying twice that.

Still, at $17.00 or so they're awesome. If you find them for less than that-- stock up!


www.kingcage.com

No comments: