Monday, February 9, 2009

Powder coating

My 1989 Stumpjumper/Rockhopper Comp/reborn single-speed is more rust than paint. I think, over its life span, given it two paint jobs.

I think it's time to stop mucking about and finally finally give it a decent coat.

And I think I've found the place.

Brooker Enterprises in Portland, Oregon. Clicking the link will take you to a movie/advertisement on bikeportland.org-- it's apparently an experiment in revenue generation by the site's owner.

Whatever. It's fun to watch. I had always wondered how powder coating worked, and despite reading descriptions, I discovered that I didn't have a complete grasp of the proceedure.

Pinky the bike looked fantastic in the end. I'm imagining my MTB in a new shiny coat of bright red. Converting it to a single-speed and putting on a Midge handlebar made it feel like a whole new bike (almost for free!). A new paint (ahem-- powder coat) will make it feel new new! I'm stoked.

No comments: