Thursday, August 13, 2009

Late Summer Wrap-up...

The end of Mountain Bike Short Track at PIR
Well boo-hoo. The MTB Short Track series is all over and done with. Just fading memories now as I start thinking about the approaching cyclocross season. The final race, with its ultra-crazy team relay race, was big fun. After my single, all-out, lung-bursting lap... I thought I might just pass out. And then explode. Or something like that.

No, I didn't win the Chris King custome wheelset. Again. Luciano (the man on the mic) had to go through a few tickets before he pulled the name of someone that was still present. I tell you, one could have cut the tension with a knife with each successive name pulled from the tub. Oh the huge manatee!! Pick me...pick me...pick me! Awwwwwwwww. Damn.

Winning a Yakima rack would have been nice. Could definitely use something other than the pathetic Thule racks I'm dealing with now-- those things keep failing on me. Out of 5 I'm down to 3 now. Fiddlesticks. And now I've got a goofy-ass trunk rack. I won't bother going into that. I really don't know why the manufacturers even bother producing a trunk rack that has NO WAY of preventing the bikes from swaying and banging into each other. Seriously, how hard is it to make some sort of flippy-gizmo. I'm NOT using wads of towels and rags and shit to secure my bikes.

Well, anyway-- the thing is for emergency additional capacity. Not regular use.

Portland Bridge Pedal
The Bridge Pedal was great fun this year. Kiddo enjoyed it. At first he wanted to ride his own bike. Then he waffled and wanted to ride the trailer bike. Then his own. And finally the trailer bike (probably a wise choice). But I think he could probably ride on his own next year... well, maybe not. That's 14 miles over a couple of hours with a few nice and steep climbs. I did it on the SS MTB again. Booyah. I grateful that I'm relatively young and strong. Such a pleasure to ride a bike and keep those pedals turning. If I had to explain... you wouldn't understand.

It's an indescribable feeling sharing the bridges with nothing but bikes. It's just fantastic.

No comments: