Monday, August 31, 2009

Super-Duper Seriously End Of The Summer Wrap Up...



Just when I thought I might be "done" with racing for the summer I realize that I had forgotten about the new mountain bike short track (stxc) series down in Salem. I had almost slipped into "lazy" mode and begun to put on my protective layer of later-summer flab when I was awakened by the siren-call of inexpensive racing fun.

I managed to get in the last two (of four) races. All in all it was a fun little race on a very short course-- I was able to get in about 9 laps in 30 minutes compared to half that at the PIR series.

My fellow Crossniac Jim and I managed to activate our wonder twin powers for the final race by donning matching Super Grover jerseys.


Me (L) and Jim (R) absolutely failing to "get air" of the top of this teensy molehill.

However, the race would not be quite so frabjous for me. The evil (not really) race dudes had the course going around the OTHER way and sent us all UP an evil (really) curb. After doing a pathetic monkey-hopping thing up the curb I thought maybe I should actually just hop over the curb. Well the curb said "No you won't, either!" and ka-pow I dented the hell out of my rear wheel and got a pinch flat. Psssssss-sss.

We were racing for not 30 but 40 minutes tonight so I figured that I had plenty of time to fix a flat. Which is rather funny because I had thought about taking off my seat bag. "Nah... I'll just leave it on."

Which reminds me of the time I went hiking with my family at Silver Falls. As I was hoisting the pack on my back I thought "Should I take the first-aid kit? Ah, sure. What the heck." And of course my son fell on the trail and hit a nice pointy rock with his head (resulting in a wound which required being glued together later).

Good thing I brought that seat bag! And remember that time I broke my chain at the PIR races? Good thing a spectator had a chain tool! So Maybe I should start packing my seatbag for the races?

So, where was I? Oh yeah-- ka pow. There goes the "Lunar-Light" innertube. I lost a lap and a half. Never did catch up to my SuperGrover teammate.

My son had fun riding his race again-- but the big payoff, for him, was getting to ride on the BMX track after all the other races were done. Whee!

No comments: